Time to Prepare for Winter

With the onset of cooler temperatures, many residents have begun to use their propane stoves or fireplaces to ward off the morning chill. This a good time to check your smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.

Smoke alarms have a life expectancy of about 10 years. If you have ever had a smoke alarm go off for no apparent reason, it could be because there is dust on the sensor or it has outlived its usefulness. If you know the alarm is less than 10 years old, you could spray it with pressurized air to remove the dust. If you don’t know when the alarm was installed, it’s best to replace it. When you get a new smoke alarm, consider writing the date of purchase on the alarm with a marker.

Carbon monoxide is an invisible, odorless, colorless gas created when fuels (such as gasoline, wood, coal, natural gas, propane, oil, and methane) burn incompletely. In the home, heating and cooking equipment that burn fuel can be sources of carbon monoxide, according to the National Fire Protection Association. Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of your home. For the best protection, interconnect all CO alarms throughout the home. That way, when one sounds, they all sound.

When you get a new alarm, Port Ludlow Fire & Rescue crews will install it for you. To make arrangements for a crew to come to your home, use the contact infor on our website: www.plfr.org

If you use portable electric heaters, be sure to keep them at least three feet from combustible items and avoid using extension cords.

As you get ready for winter, remember to check your supply of food and household items in case windstorms cause power outages or weather makes it unsafe to drive to the store. Create an emergency kit for your car. Include jumper cables, a flashlight, a blanket, some bottled water, and non-perishable snacks.

If you have any questions about the services provided by Port Ludlow Fire & Rescue, contact info is on our website www.plfr.org