by Bartholomew Clark, SBCA President
Improvements Made to Bay Club During the COVID Closure
SBCA has made several substantial upgrades to our Bay Club while closed. The glass half full view is that we were able to schedule or complete these projects with no inconvenience to our members, as would have been the case while open. The largest project involves replacing and upgrading the heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) system and a change to light-emitting diode (LED) lighting fixtures throughout the Club – projects that should be well underway as this issue of the Voice reaches your mailbox.
The HVAC upgrade features:
- a high-efficiency particulate air (HEPA) filtration system that will make the air much cleaner;
- an ultraviolet light (UV) air scrubber in the ductwork to sanitize circulating air; and
- a system that brings more fresh air from outside into the Club to be mixed by the HVAC unit to minimize buildup of stuffy, stale air.
The combined savings in electricity usage achieved by the HVAC and LED systems are projected to pay for both improvements within five to seven years. Other projects include the installation of touch-free faucets in all restrooms, the resurfacing of the swimming pool, and the sealing and striping of Bay Club parking areas.
SBCA Board of Directors Openings
Once again it is time to plan for election to our Board of Directors. This year we will have three seats open for election. The following Board members whose terms expire on the day of the Annual Meeting, Wednesday, July 21, are Bruce Birch, Bartholomew Clark, and Tom Sprandel. The Board members with one year remaining on their current terms are Dick Grieves, Dave Jurca, Christine Spagle and Bill Wight.
If you are interested in running for the Board, the only qualification to run is that you be an SBCA member (lot owner). A commitment to serve on the Board entails:
- Attending the regular Board meeting each month (while usually rare, there are special Board meetings on occasion).
- Attending one workshop per month.
- Being assigned to serve on at least one or two committees. Board members are expected to attend their committee meetings, typically held once per month.
- Attending other committee meetings to keep abreast of issues that may come before the Board.
- Attending Bay Club events once we reopen.
Being on the Board is a great opportunity to serve your community. I must emphasize, though, that volunteering to be on the Board is a commitment to more work than one may imagine, especially in Officer positions. On a personal note, having served as Secretary for one year and for nine months as President during the Covid-19 pandemic has felt more like four years. During the first nine months of the current fiscal year (2020-2021) the Board has met a total of 18 times. Unexpected exigent circumstances can present the Board with a duty to call a special meeting from time to time.
The planned deadline for submission of letters of interest and brief bio sketches was set as Friday, April 30. However, at the time of writing this update, only one person has expressed interest in serving on the Board, therefore it is possible that the April 30deadline may be extended. If you are interested in running for an open Board position, please immediately contact GM Mark Torres at the Bay Club via firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-437-2208.
Thank you for considering service to SBCA as a member of the Board of Directors.