IRS-certified AARP Tax-Aide volunteers will be available again this year to prepare and electronically file tax returns at several sites in Jefferson County. The service is free of charge. The TAX-AIDE program is sponsored by the IRS and the AARP Foundation, and is available for low- and middle-income taxpayers of all ages.
The Tax-Aide volunteers will be available throughout the tax season, which extends until April 15this year.
The Tax-Aide volunteers are IRS-certified to prepare most basic tax returns, making sure that the taxpayer receives all eligible deductions and credits. Whether a first-time taxpayer, a working family, a retiree, or someone who just needs some help to get through your tax return this year, the Tax-Aide volunteers are here to help you! They do not prepare returns for taxpayers who have income from rental properties, or for taxpayers with complicated business returns.
Due to Covid-19, this year we will be preparing returns remotely. We will not be preparing returns at our usual locations. The taxpayer will not be physically present during the preparation process. This is to ensure the health and safety of our volunteers and taxpayers.
You must make an appointment at the location of your choice; there will be no walk-in services provided. Once you have made your appointment, you will be instructed on where to go to pick up a packet containing instructions on how to proceed further. In that packet you will find instructions, and the following two forms, which must be completed and signed before you arrive for your appointment: Form 13614-C Intake/Interview Quality Review Form; and Form 14446 Virtual VITA/TCE Taxpayer Consent
Once you arrive for your appointment, stay in your vehicle. A volunteer will meet you in the parking lot and take your information and tax documents. The information will be scanned, and your documents will be returned to you at that point. Your return will be completed and will be available to be picked up at the same location one week later.
Taxpayers should bring the following with them to the Tax-Aide site:
- Photo ID (required)
- Original Social Security cards for taxpayer, spouse, and all dependents (required)
- Copy of 2019 tax return
- W-2 from each employer
- All 1099 forms (1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B, 1099-C, 1099-R, 1099-MISC, SSA-1099, 1099-G, etc.) These include interest, dividend, stock sale, cancellation of debt, retirement, self-employment, Social Security, and unemployment compensation.
- Form 1095-A, health insurance Marketplace statement, if you received one.
- Check or bank document with routing and account numbers, if direct deposit of the refund is desired.
- Any other documents necessary to complete your 2020 return; for example, cost of stock sold, tuition statements, and receipts necessary to itemize deductions, if applicable.
Local service locations are: Tri-Area Community Center, 10 West Valley Road, Chimacum, 360-390-4014, option 4; Port Townsend Community Center, 620 Tyler Street, Port Townsend, 360-302-1867; and Quilcene Community Center, 294952 US-101, Quilcene, 360-302-6064.